Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Quest for Rememberence

Ever since I was a little girl, I never thought about becoming famous or anything. I thought I was perfect the way I was and did not care about what anybody thought of me. As I got older however, one thought seemed to occur to me over and over again. Will i be forgotten when I die? I do not exactly know why that thought occured in my head that day, but when it did I can honestly say I was not ready for it. It took me by complete surprise, and it made me question why I was alive. Ever since that thought, I have been on a quest for being remembered.

I guess we all have weird, strange, unknown thoughts to us, but it is hard to answer why we have these thoughts. I finally figured out that I fear being forgotten because I do not want to be some Jane Doe on the ground with no one to claim me for who I was. I guess I just want to know that I was important to somebody. It is a form of reassurence for me that the people i love and care about will not just throw me in a ditch and bury me, but actually remeber me as a person who held some importance to the world.

It is really easy to say "O I Won't be forgotten," but in order to gain you have to give. You see I am the type of person who looks at a blank wall and does not see a wall, but sees a blank canvas ready to be painted. In order to make the wall rememberable, we can not just leave it blank. We have to decorate it and make it beautiful. If we do not do that, in the end the wall is going to fall and something new is going to be put there. That previous wall will be forgotten. That is how are lifes are. We can sit around and watch the world build up around us, but if we do not build up with it, we will not matter anymore. I need to be able to prove myself to this world, that remembering the name Gabrielle Elizabeth Williams is not a waste of time and space.

I have hopefully a very long, substantial life ahead of me, and I hope to make the fullest of it whether I am forgotten or not. I plan to have a family, a home, a future, and I plan to make some kind of mark on this world whether it be big or small. If I am to die tomorrow, I hope my quest was sucessful and all of you people who are reading this will not think of me as some weird girl who was not important. I just ask to be remembered as a person and not a corpse. If I am sucessful in my quest, then I can die knowing I will not be forgotten.

Life is to short lived to question it, and no matter who you are in the world, I want you to know i will not forget you. We are all on the same quest. If we could all remember each other when we are gone, then my quest will have ended a sucess.

"live long and not for the end,
because our journey is yet to be over,
carry the name of your enemies and friends upon your tongue,
and thy will never be forgotten,"


Gabrielle Elizabeth Williams

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, Gabrielle! Thank you for always giving your all. I know that trait will not only help you on your quest, but make for some smooth sailing, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete